Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Don't be Chained

There is a sanskrit word Abhyasa, which translates to Practice. It can mean; "choosing to apply effort". There is another sanskrit word Viragya, which translates to Non-Attachment. This can mean; "free from attachment without rejecting anything".

Enduro #2 in Crested Butte was amazing! Crested Butte was in full bloom, lupin, sunflowers, so many wildflowers! I found myself in aw of such a picturesque place. The stages for both days of the Enduro were at the Evolution bike park. This time I was able to pre-ride all of the stages! Whoopee!! I raced a bit tentatively after Angel Fire. I just wanted to stay on my bike and not be flung into the ground! I felt good about day 1 and was ready to race again on day two. The first stage for day two was a bit pedalie and was going to be a great warm-up for the rest of the day's races. I started out, knowing nothing was technical and that I could really make up some time here. One or two minutes into what should have been a ten minute stage, my chain was sucked into the inside of my gears! I tried to move the chain back to it home (on my gears) but since I had placed a chain guide ( designed so chain drop's don't happen) was now making it impossible for me to get my chain back on. My heart sank. Then a decision, do I mess with this mechanical or do I just try and get across the finish line in whatever fashion possible? I chose the latter. As the ladies past me one by one concerned that I may have been hurt, I hollered I was fine and to race fast! Any one of them would have stopped to help me and that feels great. I proceeded to run my bike, jump on my bike and glide downhill, then use one leg to push the bike along like a Strider bike (little kid's bike). Finally I made it to the bottom in a little over eighteen minutes. I was now last, and I knew it. I did finish the rest of the stages after getting my bike worked on and had a blast!

The best part about being last is you helped the person second to last not to be last! :) I heard that somewhere.
So, I learned to not be chained. To have "Viragya". Because the truth is, it is all about the journey (cheesy I know) but very true. I learn something every Enduro and race. I choose to stay unchained from the outcomes and embrace the lessons and the joy's. I choose "Abhyasa" Practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment